about the exhibit
AIM HIGH: Soaring with the Tuskegee Airmen invites its audience to explore the multiple aspects of aviation, from the rich history of the Tuskegee Airmen to 21st century STEM concepts. Inspired by the tools and tasks related to flying and aeronautics, the interactive experiences mix real artifacts with hands-on play. Visitors of all ages will be able to imagine themselves in the role of the aviators, inspired by the past and dream of the future.
In this exhibition, visitors explore opposites with some of these hands-on activities:
- Cockpit Flight Trainer: Get an up-close view of the inside of a Cock Pit Flight Trainer. Watch videos of the plane taking off and landing from the captain’s seat advantage point. This life-size Cock Pit Flight Trainer is perfect for dramatic play and also includes a row of actual airplane seats.
- Things that Fly Praxinoscpe: See images of things that fly come to life using this early form of animation. Switch out the custom-made cards to bring other images to life.
- Land the Plane Maze: Inspired by Air Traffic Control Radar, visitors guide the ball to a safe landing, tilting the round table top to avoid the red planes working all the way around to the landing strip.
- Imagination Mirrors: Interactive, mirror activated by pressure sensitive mats, exposing images of airplanes. This activity helps children see themselves in roles in the aviation field.
- Wearable Wings: Children can build and wear a pair of wearable airplane wings or a rocket ship and imagine they are flying through the sky.
The exhibition features Black Wings, American Dreams of Flight organized by the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES) in collaboration with the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum. The exhibition was made possible by the generous support of MetLife Foundation. It chronicles the story of African Americans, who, despite facing racial barriers, attained great achievements in the world of aviation
|COST:||$45,000 plus inbound shipping|
|SIZE:||1,500-2,000 sq. ft.|
Fall 2023 — Booked : EcoTarium. Worcester, Massachusetts
Spring 2024 — Booked : Opelika Public Library. Opelika, Alabama
Summer 2024 — Booked : Amazement Square. Lynchburg, Virginia
Fall 2024 — Booked : Chicago Children's Museum. Chicago, IL
Spring 2025 — Booked : Cape Fear Museum, Wilmington, NC
Summer 2025 — Booked : Cape Fear Museum, Wilmington, NC
Fall 2025 — Booked : Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
Spring 2026 — Booked : Children's Museum of Atlanta, Atlanta, GA
Summer 2026 — Booked : Grand Rapids Children's Museum, Grand Rapids, MI
Fall 2026 — Available
Spring 2027 — Booked : Creative Discovery Museum, Chattanooga, TN
reserve your dates today
Now Accepting Bookings